Setup Ubuntu 16.04 on XenServer 6.20 Comments
To install Ubuntu 16.04 (or any later versions of Ubuntu) you need to create a template in XenServer based off one of the Ubuntu templates on your system already.
This guide is based off this guide by Virantha Ekanayake
Create new template
- Login to your XenServer and go to the console for the server (dom0)
- Execute the following commands
TEMPLATE_UUID=`xe template-list name-label="Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 (64-bit)" params=uuid --minimal` NEW_TEMPLATE_UUID=`xe vm-clone uuid=$TEMPLATE_UUID new-name-label="Ubuntu Xenial Xerus 16.04 (64-bit)"` xe template-param-set other-config:default_template=true other-config:debian-release=xenial uuid=$NEW_TEMPLATE_UUID
Using the template
- “Create VM”
- Find our new template “Ubuntu Xenial Xerus 16.04 (64-bit)” and click next
- Install via url and use this as your url:
- Do next steps for your needs
I also like to then take the machine once I’ve done the very minimal to get it setup and image it so I don’t need to go through this initial process anymore for Ubuntu 16.04.
Any issues or suggestions? Tell me on github.